The left in Britain almost universally believes that it is impossible for socialists to fight for a socialist leadership of the trade unions. Instead, they build all sorts of openly reformist coalitions (see article above) and support left-talking bureaucrats, because supposedly that is the only thing possible now.
Well, serious socialists might want to have a look across the pond. We print below the platform of Emily Turnbull, a class-struggle fighter recently elected to the executive board of International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) Local 10 in the San Francisco Bay Area.
This country is going to hell and working people need to fight. I am running to continue the fight I began over the contract.
The ILWU should:
- Not have signed the contract and fought for better.
- Oppose tiers—bring Bs and Casuals into full union membership and steady men back to the hall—and fight for a shorter workweek with no loss in pay.
- Fight for Black Liberation.
- Oppose U.S. military operations, whether involving Ukraine, Israel or China.
- Oppose the Democrats and the Republicans.
- Build a workers party that aims to put working people in charge of the U.S. from top to bottom.
I will only support candidates who stand on this program and I urge others to do the same.